Instructions for You + Me, Oberlin Edition.
Dear ENACT Participant,
Please proceed as follows. As always, enthusiasm and immersion are key.
- Print out attached PDF file entitled ThankYouOberlin_You+Me onto one 8.5” x 11” letter-sized piece of paper.
- Tear sheet into one-inch squares.
- Collect pieces in one hand and go outside.
- Is it breezy? If so, continue. If not, wait.
- Are there others crossing Tappan Square? If so, continue. If not, wait.
- Begin to cross Tappan Square. Focus on distant object and walk quickly, with purpose.
- Just as you’re passing another pedestrian or pair, let go of the scraps of paper.
- Shriek. Or audibly gasp, swear, or squeal—whatever comes naturally.
- Frantically chase after scraps of paper while crying out in dismay. Ad lib.
- Does the other pedestrian start to help you? If so, while you’re chasing the scraps
of paper, express exuberant thanks and say it’s part of an art project. Continue with breathless exclamations, “Omigad, did we get them all!?!” or along similar lines. If not, return to step one.
- Once you’ve collected all the pieces, or as many as you can find, tell the other person or
persons that you’d like to invite them to the exhibit. Ask for his/her/their phone number or email.
- Part ways. Smile and wave good-bye. Hurry on.
- Return to your room, studio, desk or kitchen table.
- On a flat surface, arrange the collected pieces into the form of the original sheet of paper.
- If pieces are missing, leave the gaps and move on. Do not lose your mind.
- Take a photo of the assembled parts. It should say, “Thank you.” Or thereabouts.
- Text the image to your new friend. This piece is now called “Thank you, ____” and fill in
the blank with the person’s first name.
- Upload to the exhibition website and tweet it, using the hashtags #thankyouOberlin and
#enact. Tell us the name of the piece and anything of note regarding the process. Credit yourself.
- You’re done! Congratulations! Sigh of relief, toast your good fortune.
- Repeat as many times as you like or never again.
Thank you for your participation.
If you would like to record proceedings, please do! That would be swell. Recruit a comrade and upload photos or movies to exhibition site. Give credit to pal.